Yes, I know I haven’t been blogging much, but it doesn’t mean I haven’t been busy. Over the last 6 months I have been working away on a significant set of enhancements to X-Ray tools that I started developing while working at Esri. The tools provide practical improvements to ArcCatalog and ArcMap to help users to build better maps and Geodatabases faster.
A few key points:
- 1. X-Ray is made up of 2 free ArcGIS Desktop Addins that you can download from ArcGIS.com.
- 2. It will be a supported part of ArcGIS, specifically ArcGIS for Local Government.
- 3. The new release has 10 major enhancements based on real user needs defined by people building ArcMap Documents and Geodatabases.
It has been a fun and challenging project, and several team members have been using it over the last few months in our project work.
The list of enhancements is:
- Analyze and apply Geodatabase differences
- Replace Field (GP Script)
- Reorder Fields (GP Script)
- Check reserved fields and other naming conventions
- Save As/Run As GP script
- Additional Map Documentation Tools
- Update Data Dictionary / Poster Tools
- Manage Workspace Descriptions / Documentation
- Localization – alternate languages (GDB)
- Localization – alternate languages (Maps)
We are hoping to get a release out in the next month. If you are interested in an early preview please let me know